Monterosso al Mare is the biggest town of the Cinque Terre and it has been the very first on being documented.
Composed of two areas, the old part of the town, and Fegina, the most touristic part, Monterosso has important monuments, among them, the church of San Giovanni Battista built in the XIV century and the medieval Palazzo del Podestà right in front where there remain some traces. In the hills of Cappuccini there is the castello dei and the monastery of the church of San Francesco which has great importance and unestimable art works inside, made for some of the best painters in the Italian history, such as Van Dick, Cambiaso, Piola and Guido Reni.
There is also the el Gigante statue built at the beginning of the tenth century, that originally supported over its shoulders a seashell shaped terrace.

Vernazza, the most suggestive of the Cinque Terre
Considered for many people the most suggestive of the Cinque Terre, Vernazza was documented for the first time at 1080. The notable economical level reached for the town in the Middle Age, is still witnessed for the urbanistic features and architectonic elements as logias, churches, towers and porches.The town is made of houses made of a single central avenue and straight up stairways.

Corniglia, the only village of the Cinque Terre not in contact with the sea

It has low and wide houses different than the ones near the beach, being evident that the village has always tended more to the land than to the sea. The most important monument of the village is the Church of San Pietro, built around 1350 on the remains of the previous building:“The façade of the church, embellished by a marble rosette is enriched by many decorations, amongst which a bas-relief which shows a deer, the emblem of the village.” Also, l’Oratorio dei Disciplinati, dating back to 1700 has a breathtaking view of the sea.

Manarola, a town planning jewel

Being an urbanistic treasure, the most important monument of the hamlet is the church of San Lorenzo, which was built in 1338, work of the inhabitants of Manarola and Volastra, as the stone on the façade of the church says. The layout has three aisles, and the façade is decorated with a rosette of twelve columns. Also important is the bell tower, detached from the main body of the church, probably because originally it held a defensive role.

Riomaggiore, first news in 1251

The first news of Riomaggiore are back to 1251, when the inhabitants of Genoa (back then a republic) decided to go to the sea and create a village in the research of a new way to access the sea to enhance and develop a quicker and safer commerce. Riomaggiore has monuments of great interest: the church of San Giovanni Battista erected in 1340, l’Oratorio di Santa Maria Assunta that holds inside a wooden statue of 1300 representing the Madonna. Also important is the Castello which dominates the historical centre.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario